A new theory opposing the idea that there is no “safe” level of alcohol consumption has been published, claiming that there is a large body of evidence showing that moderate drinking offers protection against certain diseases, especially cardiovascular ones.
- One study shows that wine drinkers, particularly those having between 7 and 14 units per week, had a lower number of cardiovascular risk factors compared to non-drinkers
- A separate study found that older people with heart failure who consume up to seven alcoholic drinks per week may live longer than those who elect not to drink at all
- Evidence from a Brazilian study has also shown that moderate wine consumption had a “protective effect” in terms of reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease and diabetes when drunk with meals, but a “neutral effect” when drunk outside
- ‘BMC Medicine’ found that light-to-moderate drinking could be beneficial to our health, even people with heart disease could have a 50% risk reduction of heart attack, stroke, and even death – although admitting that “non-drinking patients should not be encouraged to take up light drinking because of well-known adverse effects on other health outcomes, such as cancers”
- Professor of nutrition Lamuela-Raventós has claimed that polyphenols found in red wine may help to burn calories in food
Interestingly, alcoholic drinks are often referred to as ‘empty calories’ however wine also contains minerals such as Potassium, as well as a diverse range of Polyphenols that can help the body increase the amount of ‘good’ fat that turns food into heat that helps you to burn more calories in food.
So there you go, enjoy that glass of wine with dinner!
If you want to mix it up a little then here’s a few of our Spanish wine and food pairing suggestions from Fragas do Lecer & us to you:
- Our Silver award-winning Monterrei Tinto ‘Fraga do Corvo’ Mencia is a red wine that pairs well with light meat or vegetarian dishes
- Our Monterrei Blanco Godello is a white wine that pairs beautifully with a tuna salad
- Our Monterrei Blanco ‘Fraga do Corvo’ Godello is a white wine that pairs deliciously with a whole range of seafood such as prawns or white fish like Hake or Sea Bass or even wild mushrooms
Message us firstname.lastname@example.org and quote #BLOGJAN to enquire about yours now